The Botataung Pagoda on the banks of the river in downtown Yangon is one of the city’s most highly revered temples. The 40 meter high golden pagoda enshrines a sacred hair relic of the Buddha.
The Botataung Pagoda, also spelled Botahtaung Pagoda was built some 2,500 years ago by the Mon people. In the second World War the pagoda was destroyed during an airforce bombing mission aimed at the nearby docks. Rebuilding started in 1948 following the original design.
In the center of the tiled platform stands the main stupa surrounded by a number of smaller stupas. The main stupa is the unique feature of the Botataung monastery; it enshrines the sacred Buddha relic and it is hollow and open to the public.
Seated on a high pedestal in a very ornate pavilion is the Royal Palace Bronze Buddha image. The image that was cast in 1859 by order of King Mindon was taken to Britain during the colonial years and returned to Burma a few years after gaining independence.
Musmeah Yeshua Synagogue
The lovingly maintained interior of this 1896 building contains a bimah(platform holding the reading table for the Torah) in the centre of the main sanctuary and a women’s balcony upstairs. The wooden ceiling features the original blue-and-white Star of David motif. It’s best to contact Sammy Samuels at firstname.lastname@example.org to be sure of gaining access to the synagogue.
The synagogue was once the focal point of an influential community of Sephardic Jews from India and Baghdad that at its height in the early 20th century numbered 2500.
Very occasionally (usually on Jewish high holidays) services are held in the synagogue, which has one of the Yangon Heritage Trust’s blue plaques.
Kheng Hock Keong Chinese Temple
Kheng Hock Keong is the oldest Chinese Buddhist and Taoist temple in Yangon, situated in chinatown. It was founded in 1861 by the Hokkien community and dedicated to Mazu, the Sea goddess. Kheng Hock Keong means “Temple in celebration of prosperity/fortune” and the name was chosen in gratitude to Mazu for her blessings during their sea voyages and for their prosperity and fortune in Burma.
Bogyoke Aung San Museum
Bogyoke Aung San Museum is located on No 15. Bogyoke Museum Lane. Bahan Township. Yangon. The Bogyoke Aung San Museum was established in 1962. 15 years after the assassination of Bogyoke. Bogyoke in Myanmar is a term used for General. The museum was the home of the General before he was assassinated.
Bogyoke Aung San lived in peace and harmony with his family. His wife was Daw Khin Kyi and he had three children.
The building is a 2 storey-building where Bogyoke Aung San stayed until he was assassinated. displayed as he was alive for memorial. furniture. dresses. books. the car used by Bogyoke Aung San. and his family photos.
– Tuesday to Sunday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Close on gazette holidays.
– US$3 per person
– No 15. Bogyoke Museum Lane. Bahan Township. Yangon. Myanmar
Drug Elimination Museum
This gigantic time capsule of junta-era propaganda is a mind-bending experience. It vilifies the effects of class A drugs on Myanmar’s society while glorifying the role of the Tatmadaw (military) in supposedly stamping out their production and trade. Cue dioramas of the opium wars, a life-size poppy field, and ghastly depictions of addiction set against the triumphant efforts of the Tatmadaw.
Saint Mary’s Cathedral
Myanmar’s largest Catholic cathedral is an impressive red-brick building dating to 1909. The neo-Gothic design is mainly down to Dutch architect Jos Cuypers, who modified a more Byzantine structure created by Henry Hoyne-Fox.
The floridly decorated interior with its red-, white- and green-brick patterns and painted statues is quite an eye-opener.
Some photos and contents placed on this website may contain content copyrighted by another entity or person. This website’s owner claims no copyright to those content.
If you have a complaint about something or find your content is being used incorrectly, PLEASE CONTACT email@example.com PRIOR TO MAKE A COPYRIGHT CLAIM. Any infringement was not done on purpose and will be rectified to all parties’ satisfaction.